Tuesday, June 20, 2006

its 11:30 p.m. late- after a tiring day of another round of teething for sanah. this time its two of the front upper teeth. they tear through her gums to pop out- causing distress! and fever!

i wait for george to reach from pune. he got into a ST bus at 7:00 but the bus did not get onto the express way, and after it reached new bombay took off into thane. so its going to be a long while before he gets home.

the expressway has changed the topography (how many of you did topo maps in school? i loved them) of the pune-bby route. the three years i was in pune i knew the route better than the lines in my palm. i would often close my eyes and guess which hill/railway line/village the asiad bus was passing. and i was usually correct. those were days that i spent a lot of time on that bus- on my way to or from bby. and if i was trying my best not to think about what had happened in bby, this was a good game to occupy oneself!

but now the expressway cuts through everything, and gives the impression of speed. Impression because both the ends of the expressway are clogged beyond imagination. the pune end shocked me in my trips to pune over the past month. the ugliness of the new construction and the new areas that have mushroomed are astounding. pista green buildings towering over nothing, pink and lemon buildings jostling one another close to the highway.

meanwhile, i slowly carve out some sense from the endless hours of footage. i like what i am doing. i miss an editor, but i do enjoy this role -and trust me, all my editing friends who would scold and shout at me while editing my films, i scold and shout at myself with the same force! there is an alter ego inside me saying' how could you ask such a foolish question- why didnt you think of taking those extra shots, why did you shoot in this place etc etc...

3 comments:

Batul said...

I do the Pune Mumbai route often. I remember it from my childhood, my Dad used to take us on special monsoon trips by train, just for the view of the ghats. And we spent all our vacations there, before we actually shifted. I don't even try and think of what's happened to Pune, because it's too painful. The pink and pistachio concrete mushrooms, were lovely hills where we used to go for picnics, on a whim. I don't mind development, what makes me angry is that so much of the construction is unoccupied, and just used as investments for NRIs, or Mumbai based people, who want to siphon off their black money. Grrr.

Space Bar said...

sur, hope you guys are ok...its a bad time--such a sense of deja vu.

Mukul said...

oye, write new post