Monday, April 02, 2007

the mommy fraternity

Spacebar introduced me to the madmomma's blog. i visited it now and then but got really hooked because of a photograph she had posted of her baby- a few days after he was born. His head was dressed in a turban fashioned out of a nappy. HUGE sunglasses perched on his tiny nose. I laughed so hard i fell off my chair i think. A mother who could have fun with her baby few days after a c-section was a mother close to my heart.

i became a regular lurker until she wrote about reading naomi wolfe's misconceptions. now i paid big bucks for that book at a time i was not even planning to have a child. this was the time i had begun filming for my pregnancy film. one of my friends had spoken about it at length so i got it and got hooked to it. so when TMM wrote about the book i HAD TO stop lurking.

now today she does a post- every thought mirrors my own. her take on over fussy parenting, on the health care system being a bummer, breast feeding, etc etc etc. ah felt so good reading it- all my pet rants were there.

she even talks passionately about the sling she uses- i used the same type for sanah. and strange comments came my way because of it. the loveliest moment was me stepping out of A dusty irani restaurant at dadar tt with sanah in the sling. a very poor lady, looked like she was working on a construction site, was a carrying her baby in the same kind of a sling but hers was fashioned out of A torn saree. both the babies were around the same size and they beamed at each other in glee. and we mommies gloated together. and then she pointed to my sling and giggled.

mommyhood has made me connect with other mommies in the strangest of places.

thanks TMM.

6 comments:

Space Bar said...

aw shucks, ma'am.

tmm, if you're reading this, will call this weekend, promise. had no money in phone, so didn't reply to your text...

anita & amit said...

i LOVE the sling story! had to stop carrying n by the time she was 6 mths old... thanks for saying kind things abt the review :) please send ur filim - i promise 2 b kind!

surabhi said...

no no, dont be kind. then what fun will it be if its kind.

The Mad Momma said...

that sling episode is awesome...

and its not surprising that we think alike on many topics... we have common friends like spacebar and i think that itself points to the whole like minds theory.. thank you for the nice things you've said abt me :)

and i hate it that u let me rant and just nod in agreement... i end up with the crazy lady image :) lets hear some more of ur rants!

manolin * said...

came somehow randomly unto ur blog ..i think to read the post about that carribean music docu....loved this post...

Minal said...

yes, Surabhi I also simply love reading her 'rants' as she has put it in your comment. And after her post on sling I surfed a little on it and realized how a little tweaking to what has been use since ages can give it a completely different makeover.