Tuesday, March 18, 2008

next milestone!

i continue to wean myself from the child.

i flew down to hyd for a film festival. George and Sanah boarded the train that night and joined me the next day at noon.

my first night away from the child!

yes, yes, i can see the eyebrows go up, first night away? from a two and a half year old? shameful yes, but i am chicken. my work allows me the freedom to carry her along. and i can not imagine why george and i might want to take a holiday AWAY from her. so she comes along, where ever i go -work or holiday.

i waved bye to her. i was sick like a dog, so through the blur i could see that she had waved me away rather cheerfully. she is used to see me go out for the day, knowing that i will return at some point. she will be fine at night, i consoled myself.

the very simple sense of anxiety shifted gear pretty rapidly into- wicked glee! aah, the father will travel alone with her in a train, will share the berth with her, and will be kicked black and blue. now he will know that its a rather big thing that i have been travelling alone with her, all over the countryside, in trains and buses!

by evening, in hyd, i had no sense of purpose. i walked the streets aimlessly, had a miserable dinner alone and waited for the child and husband to board the train.

will she weep? will she want me? will she panic?
and then...oh now george will know what its like travelling with her- the disgusting loos, the cell phones ringing just when the child is falling asleep etc etc...

unable to restrain myself i called my dad at the time they would have stepped onto the train. i could not hear him speak because there was a wild whooping sound drowning his gentle voice.

the whooping sound was the wild father doing a dance because dear lalooji has introduced the upgrade system.they had been upgraded to the first class.

is there any justice in the world?

they had a coupe with only one fellow passenger. they had berths almost as large as our bed...........

and the child, she did not dip into her books or her crayons, the father and child entertained each other all the way through.

or so the father says.

and i did have a very cheerful child hugging the breath away from me at the station.

11 comments:

Space Bar said...

now i'm feeling terrible...i shoulda come to see you that evening...

SUR NOTES said...

no, no, i would have driven you nuts with my anxiety...and then with my irritation at never having been given an upgrade!

~nm said...

Well the first time I left Anirudh overnight was when he was almost 3 yrs young. So you are definitely better of at weaning yourself than I was. :P

The hug at the station must have felt so wonderful! When I met Betu next day after I left him overnight with his dad as if I was meeting him after ages!!

Banno said...

I'm still weaning myself away. When Dhanno's out, I'm often at a loose end, wondering what I should do with myself.

Banno said...

I hope the film festival went well. And your film.

Space Bar said...

banno: sur was a little disappointed with the screening i went to, but i thought it was great! will post...god knows if this girl will!

met pankaj also, after ages!

karmickids said...

Sur, you give me hope.

Poppins said...

Well glad that they (and you) made it, but don't you get a little annoyed when father-daughter sail through these things and all your complaints about the difficulties look like they were lies?

I hate it when that happens.

dipali said...

Some people have all the luck!
George will never believe you now:)

SUR NOTES said...

nm, poppins, dipali: the hug felt good...and the father does not deserve all the good luck he has!

kiran: : )

banno: you and i have to form a club- a support group- you prepare me for whats to come!

spacebar: i will post, i will post...

Kodi's Mom said...

congrats on the milestone! and lol on your thought process!! sorry it backfired though ;)