Sunday, June 21, 2009

Did Cinderella fly?

She rushed out of the ball. Her shoe slipped off her feet as she ran down the stairs. Poof, she was gone. And a pumpkin sat at the end of the steps, a mute spectator to her flight.

I did it differently.

I was not rushing out, not from a ball, away from a handsome prince, nor to a dreary life.

I absentmindedly stepped onto the first step of a flight of stairs around 4 feet high- maybe ten to twelve steps.

Like Cinderella, my shoe slipped off. My second foot was poised to hit the second step. Taken aback, the second foot slipped. So now I had neither foot touching either of the steps.

Yes, I did fly.

Must have been a graceful sight, I would not know. I was thinking, oh dear, this will not end prettily.

Thwack!
My face crashed onto the hard floor.

The comics got it right- Thwack, Splat, all these are rather realistic depictions of sound when you crashland.

I lay still. White faced sales girls circled me. They probably thought I was dead. They were still. I was still.

I thought, oh that George, his phone does not have any signal just when I need him to. ( I had dialled his number five minutes before my flight) So I dialled a friend's number, handed the phone to the shop lady, pointed to the cafe on the first floor, and said " my friend is there, call her."

"Madam, aapki friend gir gayi".

Not sure if I got up, but I pointed to my face and asked the ladies "All well?"

How the hell did Cinderella get away so prettily?

Afterword: No serious damage. Lip cut. No teeth broken. Bruises and aches in strange places. I did not fall prettily, but I fell perfectly! And for a few days I will look like Ms. Jolie.

30 comments:

Space Bar said...

Shit on toast, Sur! Are you okay? Please go to a doc anyway and check.

Rohini said...

Ouch! I winced through most of your post. Glad you're ok. But did you get a doc to tell you that?

anja said...

oh no! poor thing...that thwack splat made me wince, hope you feel better soon..and Jolie's spirit leaves your lips..=(

Checked out Mama says so, thanks for the intro=)

Kodi's Mom said...

ouch! hope your cuts heal soon.
forget Cinderella, i bet she couldn't have narrated her fall with such humor.

dipali said...

Phew. Take care, Sur. Where were the angels who look after the absent minded when you needed them?

maidinmalaysia said...

it makes a BRILLIANT story to tell your daughter ... it has action, suspense and a sense that its not always once-upon-a-time stuff...


chez moi, the firstborn polished off his meals for a whole week listening rapt to how his dad(acquiline nose-first) walked rapidly into a glassdoor.

SUR NOTES said...

space bare, ro : dentist says proudly, your teeth are firmly in place. so all well, i guess.
anja: thanks for making me teary, you and ro!
dipali: my mum says some angel ensured i broke nothing and no one! i believe her, i still keep checking various bones to be sure they are not broken-its a wonder!
kodi's mom, MiM : i so hate the cinderella story- this spiced up version is pretty darn good, na?

The Chasing Iamb said...

ow ow! poor sur.

Banno said...

That's awful. Glad you are not too badly hurt. God, how I hate those slippery floors, steps.

SUR NOTES said...

chasing iamb:yes, feeling very 'poor sur' now!
banno: stupid wooden steps in kala ghoda, fab india.

Penguin said...

Ouch, that sounded exxxtremely painful!

pappu poppins said...

hope u ok now..
though the story's an awesomely narrated one :)

Nat said...

get better soon. hugs.

Munchkin said...

whoa, that was quite a nasty fall...get well soon :)

SUR NOTES said...

penguin, pappu, nat, munchkin: thanks for asking. still groaning because of the bruises butnothing serious.

farinaz said...

i agree with your mum! you have an angel, and a good amount of calcium in your non-parsi bones!
No sprains, nothing?
I am so relieved for you!!!!
It sounds awful!
I loved the bit where you sat up and pointed to your face and said, "All okay?"
Your sense of humour is your angel!
Love you so much!

SUR NOTES said...

F'naz: no sprains either. touch wood.oh no, no wood- slipped on them wooden stairs, and the floor-hard concrete,no damn wood there to soften the blow!

am almost healed. not to worry.

farinaz said...

sorry for my block-headedness, but what happened to Ms. Jolie?

maidinmalaysia said...

tagged ya. airborne lady

wordjunkie said...

Ouch! That was a bad fall. FabIndia, shame on you.
I see your sense of humour escaped unbruised, though.
If this helps any, I once got nicked on my upper lip by my pet dog while we were playing. It swelled up (the lip, not the dog), and I looked like Shahrukh Khan -circa '90s version :( - for three days.

farinaz said...

Travis really wants to know how you fell: going up, or going down, he's arguing...

Mukul said...

Cinederella a La Joli Mai. I shall call you La Joli Mai from now on. And we shall boycott Fab India.

Poppins said...

Oh shoot. Although the part about Jolie made me laugh!

SUR NOTES said...

Travis:I fell coming down. He would remember the fabindia(kala ghoda) wooden steps. Does that help the argument?

MiM: thinking thinking. i am injured, lady, give me time!

WJ: your Shahrukh story cheered me up. come the funny lips stories coming to this blog until i fully heal.

Muks: Why Jolie Mai? The question they asked was 'are you happy', not' is all well'. Or did I miss the reference altogether?

poppins: :)

Sue said...

Oh gosh, that sounds like a scary fall! How is the pout now?

ammani said...

Aiyo! So sorry, so late. Hope the ungle is better now

Tharini said...

oh dear! That sounded pretty bad. I can well imagine those aches and pains and am just relieved that nothing broke. Looks like you're doing the calcium right. Keep at it, dear Sur, and get better soon! Stay safe!

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

sounds aweful ... ouch ...
Hope you are doing ok now.

SUR NOTES said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SUR NOTES said...

Tharini, CA : thanks for the wishes. i recovered pretty soon, my front tooth did not break but gives out funny signals when i drink my hot cup of tea :( a visit to the dentist is due