Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Misplaced Memory

Have you seen Parvarish?

I have, when I was little.
The film had two delicious petty thieves dressed in bell bottoms, tight shirts, and rakish caps and scarves- neetu and shabana- i think they were named neetu and shabbo if i am not mistaken. I vaguely remember that AB and vinod khanna were the romantic interests. They meet after the two women pick their pockets!

I remember the story to revolve around the petty thieves- who did eventually get straightened out and made respectable by the two men- but that was only in the end. Until then they picked pockets and behaved wicked. And walked with a swagger on the roads. They might have wept at home in front of dead parents' photos or God's idols, but never mind that. They did look exceedingly happy and comfortable sticking their thumbs in their pant pockets, their feet far apart waiting for their next victim.
(Bell bottoms when worn are designed to make you want to stand with your feet apart- no wonder that they came into fashion in the late 60s and 70s. Us stupid and timid ones are of the generation of baggy pants and loose t shirts!)

After seeing Sankat City I have been wanting to write on the film. I loved it, etcetcetc, but I wanted to talk about the petty thief, Raima and the ones from Parvarish- their sexuality, their persona, their clothes...

But as I search for images from Parvarish I find only the two angry young men, and all the synopsis I have found seem to suggest that what I remember as being the main story was only the- love angle!
Dammit!!!

Find me a photo please! And I will write you a story from my memory.

Edited to add: Purely Narcotic found me pictures! Enjoy...

7 comments:

Purely Narcotic said...

Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

And also this?

SUR NOTES said...

oh these are lovely! Even better than what i remember.

Thank you Thank you

Banno said...

I didn't remember them with the gunny sacks. Nice!

pappu poppins said...

my mother keeps telling me to watch this film and how superb it is and the like...
somehow, never got around to watching it...hmmm

SUR NOTES said...

Banno: yeah the gunny sack photo is much nicer than anything i remember.

pappu poppins: clearly i need to see the film again as well.

choxbox said...

like this angle of viewing that film!

dipali said...

It was fun. And the heroines both had loads of chutzpah:)