Saturday, December 04, 2010

A child's play

A group of children huddled around something at the paved end of the park. My child scampered along to see what the excitement was all about. Can her mother be far behind?

So we all crowded around a child with a prized new possession, a shiny car. "Move back" he instructed everyone, glowing with pride and ownership. He remote controlled the fancy car to zip around in circles and arcs. We all clapped, yes the children and the one adult who had never seen these remote controlled things in action. "Now look what it does", the child announced,, with the air of a magician who had his audience hynotised. He did something to the control, the car came to a screeching halt.... yeah, okay, if it sppeds around surely it will halt.... and then the four doors opened, and four plastic bodies leaned out of each door like synchronised swimmers. No they were not swimmers, they were commandos in black, with guns that went rat-a-tat-tat with manic energy.

I recoiled.

This was a toy.

An ADULT bought this toy for a child.

The adult might say," I had no choice, the kid threw a tantrum at the shop"

...but i will still hear, "I really give my intellect a break when it comes to trivial things like toys and play, I am a responsible adult who thinks about important things like the child's food and his future"

9 comments:

Rohini said...

Yikes!

Banno said...

I know! Just had long, long discussions with a friend who is going to have a baby, about how it is NOT about food, and studies, or at least not only about ....

dipali said...

Yikes it is:(

Choxbox said...

Sigh.

Aneela Z said...

please spare some thought for the 'brains' that came up with this toy. "When I am done making this car, my next project is a remote control ninja that slashes people with a knife"

SUR NOTES said...

Aneela: :)
And when I am done with that I need to get back to those video games where men with guns spar with women with boobs.

Aneela Z said...

aah baat nikli hai tau dur talak jaayegi...and the studios that "buy" the rights to these video games and make movies based on their (lack of) story. And the gullible public which lines up and buy tickets to the film and take their kids to watch as well. And the film merchandise generated. And one day a little boy buys a toy "just like last night's movie' and strolls into your compound.

SUR NOTES said...

aaaaah, aneela, dont get me started on walt disney franchised objects- you cannot buy a simple school bag without a film/cartoon character mass produced by disney and its ilk.
one bag, with a simple painted butterfly....as impossible to get as a hindi film without tears.

the mad momma said...

I dont know what to say. I'm so sick of walking into a store and not finding anything i'd want my kid to own, other than colours and lego blocks.